I had a huge mad craving for red bean soup and glutinous rice balls after watching 2 animes with the mad characters eating them haha. In Japan, it’s called oshiruko (お汁粉)!
I never really made red bean soup. My granny always made them for me (>A<)
On my first try, after soaking the beans overnight, I left it in the pot but forgot to bring down the heat to bring the water to a simmer and after half an hour, everything was burnt haha!
The inside of the pot was black!!
Then I quickly went to google on how to save the pot! Haha! As I know my dad purchases expensive kitchenware (X_X) Didn’t want to get into trouble!
So while the pot was still warm, I quickly scooped out the roasted beans, threw them into a bag.. and filled the pot with water.
Then with a few squirts of the dishwashing liquid, I started to scrub off the blacken parts with a spoon and metal sponge. Everything came out!
To make it better, I left vinegar overnight to sit in the pot. Although I found that I really didn’t need to do that, since it just made the whole kitchen stink. Haha!
On my second try, I left the beans to soak for way too long and they started sprouting hahaa!! Hilarious!!
On my third try I finally just let the beans soak for 3 hours and had the soup for supper with my lil bro :)
Adapted from various places… :
Red bean soup with glutinous rice balls
serves approximately 1 – 2 person(s)
What you need:
1/2 cup red beans
About 2-4 cups water
1/4 sugar (add to taste)
Store bought glutinous rice balls (I used sesame ones! *_*)
1. Wash beans with water before soaking in a small bowl of water for about 3 hours
2. Drain the beans (I took this time to also throw away beans that look weird haa)
3. Bring 2-4 cups of water to a boil. (I used 2 big mugs of water). Add the beans and bring the mixture to simmer (Real low heat!). Cook for 45mins – 1 hour. Continue to check on bean soup. If it doesn’t look watery enough, add more water.
4. Add in sugar and stir in to taste
5. In another pot, bring water to boil. Add in glutinous rice balls. Cook until balls float up.
6. Add the rice balls to red bean soup. And done!